Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

You have helped me in the past with a issue that I am

Customer Question

Hello again. You have helped me in the past with a issue that I am currently experiencing. Basically I told you that I am having a weird feeling in my throat and that I am a acid reflux sufferer. You suggest that I go see a ENT doctor. I took your advice and I have an appointment the 16th of this month. I was diagnosed many years back of having acid reflux and was subscribed 20 mg of omeprazole. However I was not taking this medicine on a daily basis just on a as needed one. However since this may be the cause of the weirdness in the throat meaning tha acid reflux I am back taking my daily dosage and I started back up yesterday.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Dr. Basu seems to be at present unavailable....

This is Dr. Bray ...

The acid reflux MAY INDEED lead to throat level symptoms...

The Omeprazole does help to reduce the acid production of the stomach BUT this does NOT stop the process of reflux ( a common misconception)

You may be helped to also observe a series of steps that we call REFLUX PRECAUTIONS >>>

1) Wait 1.5 hours after you eat BEFORE you lie DOWN

2) Elevate the head of the bed on blocks 4 to 6 inches >> this keep the upper trunk at a slight incline at any position of sleep and helps to keep fluids in the stomach and NOT flowing to back of the throat

3) avoid GI irritants > alcohol, coffee, hot spicy acidic foods(tomato products, onions, peppers) , anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Aleve, Advil (Tylenol is OK)

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was complaining about my throat feeling strange. I did go to the doctor the first time. She swab my throat for strep this came back ok. I went back to the doctor again complaining about the same thing. This doctor did an examination she touched my throat and said that it was slightly swollen. She ordered a blood test to see if the thyroid was going haywired. She called me today to let me know that the test came back ok. She wants me to get a ultrasound done of the throat/thyroid.
It is worth noting here that I am a acid reflux sufferer as well as a perimenopause/menapausal woman. I was currently online and I did read that Perimenopause and Thyroid Problems.

Hello again,

Well the thyroid may warrant checking but specifically I don't connect menopause ...same age would tend to correspond to both type issues ...if thyroid enlarged yes I would agree that ultrasound may be helpful

The reflux issue may cause internal throat irritation ...

Toward that end it may be helpful to observe reflux precautions...

1) wait 1.5 hours

2) elevate the head of bed 4 to 6 inches as they incline your trunk ( any sleep position ) (( extra pillows do not work as a well btw))

3) avoid GI IRRITANTS such as alcohol / coffee / hot spicy or acidic foods ( tomato products , onions, peppers , citrus fruits ) anti-inflammatory meds ( aspirin , Aleve ,Advil ) Tylenol is OK....

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD