Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have an inflatable nasal ballon catheter in my right

Customer Question

I have an inflatable nasal ballon catheter in my right nostril. It was put in at 8 PM Pacific time last night. It is starting to come out just a bit. Can I deflate it a bit, push it back up, and inflate it again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You will need to deflate completely and then try to push it in.

If you feel significant resistance, you stop right there to avoid any perforation of intestine.

And you will need to contact your doctor about it.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If there is a lot of resistance, does this mean there is hardened blood behind it and that is the cause of the resistance?
The doctor yesterday said I should NOT deflate it, just push it back in. When I tried this first, it came back out to where it is again after a few minutes. So I tried deflating it a bit and pushed it back up and inflated it again. It again went back to where it is but it took an hour.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

More common cause is the resistance against the bowel wall or the Tube got kinked at the nasopharygeal junction.

Since you are able to push back in, you can keep it inflated.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My doctor said I should not deflate it but I did a little bit. Did this screw up the healing process?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Not likely as long as you have inflated back up.

For what reason you have the tube inserted?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just tried pushing it back up but there is too much resistance. There is dried blood around the perimeter, is this the cause of the resistance? Should I try twisting it to break the dried blood off or just leave it?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Before you do anything, Please tell me why has the tube been placed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to answer your question I have had a bleeding nose that wont stop bleeding. Had a regular plug put in Monday, but went back Tuesday as it was so painful and it was still bleeding a bit. They burned the area they thought was the source. It seemed to work for about 4 hours, then started bleeding again but not as bad. More of a drip. Then at 7:30 PM last night, they put the balloon one in. No bleeding but it came out a bit last night so I pushed it back in. Then the rest you already know.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Ok thanks for the info.

So this is for nose bleeding not GI bleeding.

In that case, yuo should not deflate it.

The purpose of the balloon is to maintain pressure to prevent any further bleeding.

Do not push it too much as that increases the risk of sloughing off the cauterized area.

Little bit of displacement is fine should not be a problem.

Better leave it alone since no bleeding any further.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank god you clarified but I am very disappointed as I was very clear on my initial question when I logged in. Look at the question I sent! It says nasal and nostril in the first sentence! Please do not charge me as this could have been very disastrous for me if I had followed your initial responses!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Please remember I have not seen you or examined you --Had i examined you this will be a cake walk.

But when communicating through typing that too without any talking, this may be a barrier at times.

Anyway, your well being is most important.

You will recover in next few days.

Best wishes