Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I FELL 4 days ago twisting my ankle have kept it up iced and

Customer Question

I FELL 4 days ago twisting my ankle have kept it up iced and I KNOWED IT FEELS MUCH BETTER BUT MY FOOT ANKLE LOWER LEG IS ICE COLD ALL THE TIME AND MY GOOD LEG IS FINE I never went to doctors I'm 65 years old take no meds, healthly
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Ankle twists usually cause ligamentous injuries and that causes the swelling and the pain. You are doing the right thing by keeping it elevated and icing it. I would also advise that you apply Ibuprofen liquigel thrice a day with gentle massage on the ankle and keep it covered with an ankle brace available in pharmacies. You should keep it elevated above the level of the heart, on at least two pillows while you lie down and on a couch while you sit. Avoid load bearing for now. And start on an anti inflammatory medication like Aleve 200mg twice a day for pain relief and early resolution. If the leg feels colder then you should get an examination by your PCP and a doppler ultrasound to rule out vascular insufficiency meaning that the limb could be underperfused. This is the most common reason, the other reason is peripheral neuropathy or nerve injury which is probably not the cause in your case since that usually affects both the feet simultaneously.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.