Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was playing basketball earlier today and part way through

Customer Question

I was playing basketball earlier today and part way through the game I felt a tug in my heart. It was kind of a sharp pain. I was only 30 minutes in the game. When this happened, I was going for a lay up, running towards the hoop to make the shot. I had to sit out because it hurt to make deep breaths so I kept them short. Eventually the pain went away (after about 5mins). Could this be a heart attack? I'm only 24 years old, I feel like I'm too young to have a heart attack.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello !

No what you describe is not a heart attack!

There are many potential reasons for chest pain.

It could have been chest wall pain...

It may have been pain of the sternum or the cartilage near the sternum ( costochonditis )

The pain easing up in 5 minutes though sounds more of perhaps a muscle cramp though ...

Heart attacks don't find spontaneous relief in 5 minutes so that makes no sense !!!

Bot***** *****ne is that you sound to be young/ healthy / fit and fine ...

Again I come to this feeling better in 5 minutes ...

That does not for any serious cause

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help !

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD