Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My mom and dad are both prescribed Xanax. I had really bad

Customer Question

My mom and dad are both prescribed Xanax. I had really bad panic attacks in college and came home to visit my parents and my mom gave me one of her Xanax pills. it was a small dosage. It calmed me down and ever since that day I have been obtaining Xanax from friends and not a doctor. I have a problem, and I want to quit. I know I can't stop cold turkey and I cant go see a doctor because I will be labeled a drug seeker and he wont help me. What do I need to do? I wish I could just go see my doctor and tell him the truth and he could help me on a path to slowly get off this medication. This has been going on for almost over a year.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to see a doctor and ask for help to quit xanax and also to get treatment for your anxiety disorder and panic attacks

there are treatments for anxiety disorder with medications like SSRI agents like zoloft or paxil which can help decrease your anxiety

this can help you taper off of xanax easier

also there are non addictive anti-anxiety medications like hydroxyzine and buspiron which can help decrease anxiety.

but you have to see a doctor to get help and treatment.

a doctor will respect you for seeking help to quit xanax and get treatment for your anxiety disorder.

if you don't see a doctor your anxiety symptoms will continue to be bad and you will continue to seek out xanax to treat yourself.

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my doctor wont look down on me for telling him I have been obtaining Xanax basically in an illegal way?

no, a good doctor will not look down on you

a good doctor will see you have anxiety disorder and treat your anxiety disorder

and help you to stop taking xanax.