DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Silicone Plug was lost, but wasn't detected on x-*****

Customer Question

Silicone Butt Plug was lost, but wasn't detected on x-***** *****. Is there a possibility that the x-***** ***** wouldn't see it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes an x ray could miss it.

MRI is the most reliable imaging for silicone.

However, the best course would be a flex sig [scope] to find it and get it out.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion, is this a likely scenario or unlikely. The x-rays were taken at a hospital and in their opinion, there wasn't anything there. They were "certain" that it would show up if it was there. Also, what if we followed their advice (of nothing being present) but it actually was there. What would eventually happen? How long could it stay in there before causing a medical issue or being passed?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

It might pass, or it might cause an obstruction.

I would say that if you are certain it was lost inside, then they have made a mistake.

It might take a day, a week, or a month to cause problems.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional info...she had 2 x-rays taken from the standing position and 1 laying down. Also, all air-flow was seemed normal and the "gastric valve" showed no signs of an issue (not sure that's the correct medical terminology). I'm not sure what any of this means, but they quoted it as further evidence that nothing is present. Would you agree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly, she has had bowel movements since the incident occured which I hope is another indicator of nothing being present. Would it be possible for everything to be functioning correctly if the object was still there?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There is evidence nothing is present, but it is not certain.

It would be possible to have bowel movements, but it makes the likelihood of the problem less.