khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

At the end of January I was having some uti symptoms, I did

Customer Question

at the end of January I was having some uti symptoms, I did a home urine strip and it was negative, I went to dOctober and urinalysis was negative he sent me for CT scan that showed inflammed terminal ilium, but couldn't see appendix. Was sent to hospital and admitted for 8 days, 7 days no food and lots of i.v. antibiotics mri
showed everything's fine but gallbladder is inflammed, hida scan normal, endoscopy and colonoscopy at same time a little gastritis and very small hiatus hernia everything else normal. Home for almost two weeks then had severe lower right quadrant pain, went to e.r. CT scan showed small intestine inflammation and ascending colon inflammation compared to first CT, appendix is fine. They gave me morphine and i.v. antibiotics and sent me home with nothing. Saw a surgeon and he is going to take out my appendix possibly gallbladder, and do laporoscopy exploratory surgery. What is happening here? They said appendix and gallbladder is fine. They dont send me home with any medicine or understanding. I'm a nervous wreck, constant trembling from nerves and pain. 44 female 5'2 114lb. Have had undiagnosed digestive issues all my life, recently diagnosed with GAD but think it's a symptom of tummy issues. Operation in 2 days!
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 9 months ago.

It could be due to Meckel’s diverticulitis, or perforation in the small intestine. Meckel's diverticulum is the most common congenital anomaly of the gastrointestinal tract, It contains ectopic gastric mucosa which produces gastric acid. CT scans can't detect it. Colonoscopy can't reach the small intestine. Only Meckel scan can detect it. It should be removed surgically.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wouldn't it show up on mri? Surgeon suggested a capsule scan but G.I. Doctor said m.r.i.was sufficient and read normal. There has been alot of mucus in my stool, would that be consistent with meckel's?

MRI is not used to detect it. A capsule scan could be used. The mucus should come from the inflammation. It is possible that meckel's causes inflammation. If it is due to Crohn disease in the intestine, MRI enterography can detect it.

If there is perforation found with laparoscopic exploratory surgery, the part must be removed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, I have heard crohns several times but no sure diagnosis. Would either show in blood work? Blood work was also normal.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is mri entography same as mri?

There are no specific markers for Crohn's in the blood.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about perforation or meckles?

For mri entography, you need to drink oral contrast and then have MRI. Did you drink oral contrast?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That's mri entography. If it is perforation, the MRI should detect it. But it can't detect meckel's.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Take care.