Muhammad Sarwar
Muhammad Sarwar,
Experience:  Hospitalist at UPMC
89701688

JO ***** ***** WOODS I HAVE SWOLLEN ANKLES AND FEET BAD

Customer Question

JO ***** ***** WOODS I HAVE SWOLLEN ANKLES AND FEET BAD ENOUGH I CANNOT WEAR A SHOE. HAD ALLERGIC REACTION TO LASIX MY DOCTOR STATES HE'S TRYING ME ON BUMEX
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES WITH PERIPERAL NEUROPATHY
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Muhammad Sarwar replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am an Internal Medicine Physician.

You can try keep your feet elevated at night during rest (3-4 pillows underneath) so your legs are above your chest which can also help with reducing the swelling. TED Stockings can help during the day also.

Also be extra careful with the Salt content in your meals. Try to avoid adding salt and look for meals that are low in salt.

Please let me know if this helps

**Keep Legs above the level of the front chest.

These medications work by increasing the amount one urinate. This in turn can help with extra fluid you may have retained (swollen legs and ankles) by allowing your body to get rid of this extra fluid by urinating. Lasix has a chemical part in it (a sulfa component) which some people can have allergies to. When this occurs, Bumex can act as an alternate choice to Lasix. You should also check your weight every day and if you notice an increase of 5 lbs or more, you should contact your doctor for instructions, you may require IV medication to help reduce the swelling.

If this helps please don't forget to give me a positive rating. I do hope your swelling improves.