Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I always run a gh normal or slightly above normal platelet

Customer Question

I always run a high normal or slightly above normal platelet count and have for several years now. I have lympedema in both lower legs that I control well with compression stockings, etc., but I always wonder if that might be why it stays on the high/normal side. I'm a nurse and work with Psych patients all the time and noticed that I rarely have a patient with high end platelet counts.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm pre diabetic but have gained control of my glucose levels and keep them in normal range with glucophage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 9 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Little high Platelets count , could be reactive because of iron deficiency , insensible blood loss from GI tract , allergic reaction , infections and other causes .

In the presence of normal other blood indices this is usually of no significance .

So hopefully everything will be fine .

Good luck .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello

In fact, you need iron studies, and ferritin.

The most common cause of this is a lack of iron, and if you are still pre menopausal, then this is possible.

So I would not say that this is necessarily of no significance.

I recommend

Iron studies and ferritin, a blood test as you know.

Stool examination for microscopinc blood, particularly if you have low iron.

A sed rate to rule out inflammatory problems.

Talk to your doctor.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.