Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I've had a sore throat four days. It started very mild,

Customer Question

Hi. I've had a sore throat for about four days. It started very mild, almost not noticeable, and just gradually got worse. And then yesterday I was nauseated, and I was vomiting this morning. It's sunday so my doctor's office is closed.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My kids had this a couple of weeks ago and they got over it within 3-4 days.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well.

Your worsening sore throat and vomiting sound very much like strep throat. This is a bacterial infection caused by streptococcus that is contagious. It is very possible that you acquired it from your kids. You may also develop a fever with this type of illness and, in more severe cases, a "sandpaper"-like rash on your chest or back.

Although your doctor's office is closed today, you should definitely make an appointment to be seen tomorrow. Most doctors have a rapid test for strep in their office which can confirm the diagnosis. The infection responds well to penicillin-type antibiotics. Untreated strep infections can lead to serous illnesses such as rheumatic heart, so it is important to get treatment.

If you end up with a negative test for strep, the other possibility is a viral throat infection. One that is associated with increasingly severe symptoms is the Ebstein-Barr virus or mononucleosis. In this case, the sore throat would last longer than 5 days and be associated with fatigue, abdominal pain, and fever.

Until you are seen by your doctor, I would recommend taking ibuprofen for the throat pain and drinking plenty of clear fluids.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions when you return online.

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 9 months ago.

Just following up on how you are doing. I hope you were able to get an appointment with your doctor today.