Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a bout of heartburn, bloating (stomach) and discomfort

Customer Question

I had a bout of heartburn, bloating (stomach) and discomfort in my colon area (perhaps gas bubbles?) I literally was to the point where I could not eat. The doctors put me on prilosec and bentyl. Both are working pretty well. My appetite has been very low but at least I am eating something now. I am very scared of health issues - I mean VERY! The other day I had a normal (albeit small due to not eating much) bowel movement. It looked ok. Then 1 hour later I had a bout of diarrhea. There was blood in the toilet. I got VERY concerned. Then I noticed that I had my period and it was indeed active at the time. I am still not sure where the blood came from. It is causing me LOTS of anxiety. I am wondering what the chances are that you have one bowel movement that is normal and then an hour later another with a lot of blood in it? My husband thinks I am crazy for thinking this is anything but my period. It had been dripping in the pad right before the diarrhea but I had not noticed. When I wiped there was blood sort of all over the place - I was in such a tizzy I can't even remember. I literally was shaking. I have never had blood in my stool before. I know this question is probably a first but I really had to ask. I am seeing a gastro next week and requesting a colonoscopy as I want to be sure everything is ok.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Hemorrhoids can cause blood in stool commonly.

Internal hemorrhoids are not seen and cause painless bleeding.

Probably not concerning since you do have normal bowel movements.

Still, persistent symptoms require a colonoscopy to check for any inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease.

Colon cancer risk is very low.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/