Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years of experience.
54412793

Every few months my husband wakes up gasping not able to

Customer Question

Every few months my husband wakes up gasping for air not able to breathe. there is no pattern to the events
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: He falls asleep without any problems. Its usually within the first 2 hours he's asleep that the events occur. He wakes up panic strikes, he then either sits up or stands at the side of the bed. The event does not last very long but he is drenched in sweat afterward. Once its over he goes right back to sleep.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: The first event was in November of 2013, it was discovered that he has CAD in February of 2014, We have spoken to his cardiologist and he said he does not feel that they are related to each other
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about these episodes. They sound scary. I wonder if his cardiologist brought up the possibility of sleep apnea. It's possible that he's not breathing consistently during that part of his sleep cycle and then waking up suddenly with a panic when his body senses he's not getting enough air. The next step is for him to have sleep studies done. This will detect disturbances in his sleep cycle and breathing. There are doctors who specialist in sleep disturbances who would be able to make a diagnosis and advise on proper treatment. He should ask for a referral from his primary care.

I hope this information has been helpful and I hope he's back to getting a restful night's sleep soon.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

If no questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.