Muhammad Sarwar
Muhammad Sarwar,
Experience:  Hospitalist at UPMC
89701688

How a kenalog injection takes to work?

Customer Question

How long a kenalog injection takes to work?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Muhammad Sarwar replied 9 months ago.

Hello

A Kenolog injection usually has some lidocaine (a local anesthetic) injected with it, this gives relief immediately with injection. Without the lidocaine (anesthesia) it may hurt more and can take from 6 - 12 hours until it starts working at the level of the cells to decrease the inflammatory reactions/processes.

Does this help?

The frequency of the injections (if it is for joints) should not be more than one joint typically, every 4 to 6 weeks. If injections are any more frequent than this, the risk of systemic side effects from the steroid (kenalog) injections increase. These side effects can include weight gain and decrease strength of your bones to name 2 major concerns. Also increased risk of infections.

I hope the above information helps, please rate if you feel your question is answer, otherwise please let me know. Thank you.

Please do not forget a positive on the scale at the top of the page, or I won't be paid.

Good luck.

Thank You