Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I just stopped all nicotine completely. Now, I feel chest

Customer Question

I just stopped all nicotine completely. Now, I feel chest tightness when sleeping, heart palpitations, terrible anxiety.... I can't sleep, waking up gasping for air..... What do I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Stopping nicotine cold turkey can result in Nicotine withdrawal, which is a well recognized state and causes cravings for nicotine, anger/irritability, anxiety, depression, impatience, trouble sleeping, restless, hunger or weight gain, and difficulty concentrating. Some of your symptoms are due to the nicotine withdrawal, but chest tightness is not something that I have seen in patients suffering from nicotine withdrawal, it could be due to anxiety or due to smoking related asthma in your case.

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about this and have a physical examination done along with a chest x ray to rule out any chest conditions. For the withdrawal I would recommend using some form of replacement in the interim, like nicotine gum, sprays or inhalants. However, your doctor can also help you with this by prescription medication.

The foremost thing will be to contact your doctor for the chest tightness and once chest conditions have been ruled out, you can discuss your rehabilitation with him/her as well.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.