Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My Father's DOB is 8/2/41 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis

Customer Question

My Father's DOB is 8/2/41 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver with cancer. Has had fluid drained from his abdomen 4 times over the course of a month. Last week we took him to the ER because he was so weak & nauseous. Found out he was dehydrated from the fluid pills & lactulose. Had more test done & his kidneys were shutting down. He was transported to Oschners in New Orleans Louisiana where they discovered he also has a blood clot in the liver that is affecting his kidneys. Had him on fluid restriction & given albumin every 6 hours. Started that on Thursday & stopped today because the kidneys are better & want to see how he does without it. They're monitoring the fluid intake & output. He has low blood pressure also. They told him that the cancer is not treatable because of the blood clot & the blood clot can't be treated also. They said dyallises (I don't know how to spell it) is not a good idea because of his blood pressure & that he's too sick for a transplant. They just want to monitor him & keep him comfortable. Please tell me what you think. We need a second opinion & going to transport him to the Medical Center in Houston Texas. My name is ***** *****
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you know the extent of the cancer?

Do you have the blood tests of liver and kidney function?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

From your description of the clinical situation, it sounds like your father is in the end-stage of liver dysfunction due to cirrhosis and has also developed hepatorenal syndrome, although the blood work would help to confirm this. In someone with end-stage liver and kidney dysfunction from cirrhosis and hepatorenal syndrome, it is common to not treat liver cancer aggressively.

Certainly, seeking a second opinion at the Medical Center in Houston would be a reasonable step.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.