Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Both of my breasts have been tight all day today. I was told

Customer Question

Both of my breasts have been tight all day today. I was told it was a sign of a heart attack. I went to the Emergency room yesterday because of chest pain but the cardiac enzymes and the ekg came back negative. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is true that it is appropriate to first evaluate for heart disease when someone has chest pain. A complete heart evaluation would also frequently involve a stress test, which can frequently be done as an out-patient.

Once heart disease has been excluded, it would be appropriate to consider other causes of this pain. It certainly can be related to diseases within the breast, but also could be due to conditions of the rib cage, such ad inflammation at the ends of the ribs, called costochondritis. Deeper chest pain also can be commonly related to various GI problems, such as acid reflux or esophageal spasm.

The findings on exam may suggest a specific cause, but your primary care physician will be able to arrange any additional tests that would need to be done.

So, the next step after an ER visit that has excluded acute heart disease would usually be to see your primary care physician to complete the evaluation of the pain and determine the exact cause.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.