Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a man age 59 and my blood pressure is 179/79 what advice

Customer Question

I'm a man age 59 and my blood pressure is 179/79 what advice do you have I take Carvedilol tabs 12.5mg and Lisinopril tab 20mg twice a day
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is this blood pressure of 179/79 a single reading or what you are currently running on most days?

If the former, what does your blood pressure run on most days?

What is your heart rate?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

If this is a single reading, then the usual response would be to rest to see if it improves. If the upper number exceeds 180 and continues despite rest, then it would be appropriate to be seen urgently. You are not quite yet at 180, so it will likely improve with rest, but if the number exceeds 180, then you should be seen.

If this is what your blood pressure is running on most days, then it would be appropriate to adjust your medicine regimen. You are on the maximum dose of lisinopril, but not yet on the maximal dose of carvedilol. However, whether a higher dose of carvedilol would be an appropriate consideration would also depend upon the heart rate at this dose. If your heart rate is already low in the normal range, then it would be better to use a medicine that works by a different mechanism.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.