Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Cough of clear jelly-like mucus, feels like something caught

Customer Question

cough of clear jelly-like mucus, feels like something caught in throat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: has been occurring for at least two months
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Cough of clear mucus for a couple months is most often due to inflammation. Infectious causes are more ocmmon, but typically would not persist for a couple months. The inflammation can either be in the chest or in the upper airways that causes drainage into the throat.

The inflammation can be due to chemical irritation, such as from smoking. In a non-smoker, it would most often be due to allergy inflammation.

There are several options for management, some of which are available over the counter. An oral antihistamine is the usual first line treatment. A medicine to thin the mucus, such as guaifenesin, may help to ease symptoms, even though it does not actual treat the underlying cause. The next step would usually be steroids, either as a nasal spray or inhaler, although only a nasal spray is available over the counter, called Nasacort.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If I can assist you with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/