Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

A good friend (female age 33) went to a party on Tuesday

Customer Question

A good friend (female age 33) went to a party on Tuesday night and drank way too much alcohol (gin, bourbon, etc.). She doesn't really remember what time she go home but estimates it was around 1 A.M. on Wednesday morning.
According to her, she regurgitated multiple times from the time she got home until about 8 P.M. Wednesday evening. When she tried to get up during the late morning and afternoon on Wednesday she was feeling lightheaded and nauseous when she tried to get out of bed. She had no appetite and was unable to drink water (without regurgitating). Finally, around 8 P.M., she was able to to drink some water containing electrolytes without regurgitating.
She felt a little better yesterday and was able to eat some food and drink water without regurgitating. Since she was most likely dehydrated, I strongly encouraged her to continue drinking lots of water/gatorade, but no beverages with caffeine. I also encouraged her to take some some vitamins (including a B complex with Thiamine) to help replenish her body with some nutrients.
While feeling better this morning, though not quite normal, she mentioned that her left fore arm (from the elbow down to her wrist) is numb. In addition, three of her fingers on her left hand (middle finger through her pinkey finger) are tingling. In addition, when she was combing her hair this morning, she noticed the top of her right ear was also numb.
According to her, she has had the numbness in her left forearm and the tingling sensation in her three fingers on the left hand since she initially woke-up at around 9 A.M. on Wednesday morning. She initially thought she slept on her left fore-arm, but the condition hasn't subsided.
Since she has had this issue for at least 48 hours, I'm concerned.
In reviewing the various MD help sites on the web, it indicates that numbness in the arm could be caused by excessive alcohol because of the effects of dehydration.
Please give me your thoughts on the possible problem and next steps.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Left axillary nerve or brachial plexus palsy can cause such numbness and weakness.

This is also known as Klumpke palsy.

Usually takes several days to recover from.

Can be confirmed by nerve conduction test.

Physical therapy will help.

The problem occurs due to the wrong sleeping posture or pressure on the arm pit at chair arm handle.

Here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klumpke_paralysis
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/