Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had sex with a man who denied he was bisexual I now

Customer Question

I have had sex with a man who denied he was bisexual I now believe he is .I can't get him to answer my calls .do I get tested .and if I do what happens to him
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is appropriate for everyone that is sexually active outside of a long-term mutually monogamous relationship to be tested on a regular basis. However, it is generally not necessary to be tested after each sexual encounter with someone of unknown HIV status. For most people, annual testing is appropriate, although the frequency of testing can be adjusted according to the sexual history of the individual.

If someone is anxious about a specific recent sexual encounter, there is no problem with being tested after that sexual encounter, as the only real risk is the cost of the test, but we do not routinely test everyone after every encounter with someone of unknown HIV status.

Nothing will happen to him solely because you get tested. If the test is positive, then public health officials will typically contact recent sexual partners, so that those individuals can also be tested and treated if positive.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.