How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Thomas, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 63757
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Thomas, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would a story of germ cell testicular cancer (embryonal

Customer Question

Would a history of germ cell testicular cancer (embryonal carcinoma) in 2006 with no history since of recurrent disease or other complications be an absolute contraindication for cross sex (male to female) hormone therapy? Specifically estradiol and spironolactone?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.


I see no reason is should be an absolute contraindication.

These tumors produce testosterone, and would not, in theory, be stimulated to recur from estradiol or spironolactone.

In fact, one might even assume that treatment to be suppressive of such a tumor.

However, you must coordinate with an endocrinologist on this.

Since you were cured of the cancer there is no reason to suspect you can not do this.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your response! My limited Google searching turned up this article published in 2007 that has me concerned ... thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

The article relates to fetal exposure [in the womb].

So I don't think so.

However, again, you must be working with an endocrinologist, and your cancer doctor,.

Related Medical Questions