Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had around 9 drinks (Bacardi and Diets) from 7PM to

Customer Question

I had around 9 drinks (Bacardi and Diets) from 7PM to 11:30PM on Friday. Will I pass an ETG Sunday Morning?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What are you looking for?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

No probably not ...

The ETG test is a metabolite of alcohol ...it may detect alcohol consumption up to 80 hours after you last ingested alcohol ...

Possible that lower amounts might escape but from what you describe in this time frame you would expect a positive result I am afraid ...

You need to plan accordingly ....

Positive etg test would be my honest prediction based on your history ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Good luck ...

Best Regards ***** *****!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much time would need to elapse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I plan accordingly?

80 hours to be safe ....so a bit over three full days ( which of course that is 72 hours ) so 3 full days plus 8 hours ...push plenty of fluids ...

I don't know your situation exactly ....

The ETG is not a breathilizer type test ...you do not have to have been drinking as recently to fail that test ( test positive for alcohol consumption )

You in normal circumstances would not be doing anything wrong to have drinks in your time off....the test being positive DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE DRUNK AT ALL for example ....

The test may be required in some kind or for legal reasons however ...so as I said I do not know your circumstance ....

Some jobs may require -- airline pilot for example ??

Or legal situation such as prior DWI CONVICTION may lead to a legal order that you not drink....

So some situations you may be in trouble but others not . .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heavy doses of water and such can speed the process of ETG?

Flush system with plenty of fluids would be best bet for you but if you have any option to DELAY test baying 80 hours that would be best bet for you ....

Gatorade as a good fluid and 12 ounces every hour while awake ...

I can't give you any honest way to guarantee you a negative result however ....not from 9 fmdrinks from Friday night to Sunday AM....

Don't drink like gallons of pure water though ...that can be dangerous and I must advise against that !!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have had 3 gallons of water

Please be careful ...especially large amounts of just water over short time may cause sodium level to drop...can cause cells to swell including brain...too much water can actually be FATAL...watch for headache / nausea / sense of disorientation....

3 gallons of water spread out over time less dangerous ...

You want some electrolytes to balance excess water intake in short term though ....

It is that you can potentially harm yourself even with too fast ingestion of water ....it dilutes system too much ......you need balance with salts to not push your sodium , potassium , other electrolytes too low....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You can help replenish sodium to eat salty foods such as chips / crackers / etc....

Good luck to you ....rather !