Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have been listening to your show on radio couple of months

Customer Question

Hi. I have been listening to your show on radio for a couple of months now. I really like natural approaches to treatments and am interested in seeing if you can possibly help me. I have been diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, Familial form (my mother and two twin brothers all died from it). I was diagnosed 3 years ago and in early stages of it, presently go for testing every few months. I realize there is no cure but have been put on Esbriet (Perfinidone) 2403 mg daily. It is a drug just recently ok'd by FDA. I was in the tail-end of the test study. I am a 59 year old male in fairly good health, but have noticed I seem to be fatigued alot. Could be from medication (it is a side effect) or the disease itself. My question is, is there any supplements I can take that will help with lung function but not promote fibrous spread and also deal with the fatique issue? Thank you for any suggestions. Donald
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

Has anyone recommended NAC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot about it. I took NAC for about 6 months but was told my both of my pulmonologist that there was no evidence at all which suggested any advantages of it. Basically it was something like "grasping for a straw" help because nothing else was out there. It did not seem to do much as far as I could tell but really dont know how effective it really was.

I would as about fish oil supplements.
I have seen some small trials that showed some benefit.

Again probably grasping at straws but unlikely to hurt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Are you with Dr Joe Dimatteo? I thought you were one of his staff members. If you are not, I am sorry. I thought that was the site that I was on. Sorry again.

No problem. No I am not. I am an online consultant for justanswer

please don't forget a positive rating for me

Thanks for this question.
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.

If you have more questions, just reply.