Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have hereditary hemochromatosis and I have had hepatitis c

Customer Question

I have hereditary hemochromatosis and I have had hepatitis c for 25 plus years from a blood transfusion in 1982 when I was in the USNavy giving birth to my son. What are the possibility of me getting liver cancer? Neither of my liver illnesses has been medical treated. I am have severe abdominal pain and extremely tired all the time, little or no hunger to eat.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kathie,

Im sorry to hear about your past medical history.

Now unfortunately the chance of you developing hepatocellular or liver cancer is high. This is because of the two things which you have mentioned. Hemochromatosis by itself can lend a chance of 30% of developing liver cancer while hepatitis C can confer a high chance especially if your liver is cirrhotic or shrunken. It is estimated that about 25% of cases globally of hepatocellular cancer are caused by hepatitis C itself. Now if you have hep C and it has never been treated and you are showing symptoms like the ones you have mentioned then you should IMMEDIATELY get a abdominal ultrasound done alongwith a CT scan of the abdomen as well. this should NOT be delayed any longer so that if you do have cancer it can be treated as soon as possible.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?