Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am itching all over, cant figure why. we have rulled out

Customer Question

i am itching all over, cant figure why. we have rulled out scabies, my platelets are high, t4 high , gluscoe and A1c high
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: what would you like to know . I am a 38 yeats old a woman. I have been itching all over for about a month and getting worse
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Can you please let me know how high your platelets are?

Can you please enumerate all the medications that you are on.

How was scabies ruled out?

Did your doctor put you on any medications for this problem?

Please let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Given prometherine no change after 3 doses. No other symptoms of scabies . Itching worse . No red marks .
No other meds , started a month ago getting worseThings high on my labs
2) glucose 124
Neutrophils 12.3
Platelets 527
Wbc 13.9
Alt 36
Thyroid 12.8Sle, anti dna all negative
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Even though you do not have a rash or red marks but I would still consider the possibility of scabies and I would have still given you a course of anti-scabies lotion.

The other possibility is an allergy.

You may have been exposed to something that you were allergic to. At times anti-histamines that you were given do not work very well in which case a short course of steroids like prednisone may be required to control the itching.

Raised platelets in themselves can cause itching as platelets release certain chemicals in the bloodstream that can cause itching.

You have a raised white cell count and a raised platelet count. I would recommend that you be referred to a hematologist to have this particular problem evaluated and to find out exactly what's causing your high platelet and white cell count.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Had scabies creams twice no change
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Itching from scabies can take a week or two weeks to go away completely.

Plus if the itching still persists and we still suspect scabies then the bug could be resistant to the topical application and we can try an oral medication like ivermectin which will help eliminating scabies if present.

The other possibility like I mentioned is allergies and itching caused by your blood counts which should also be looked into.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks it's been over a month since scabies second dose and getting no worse. Would an allergy raise my numbers like this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Allergies would only raise eosinophils but not platelets and usually not the total white cell count.

Which is the reason why I would like that scabies should be looked into further and that you should have a hematologist consultation or have a peripheral smear at the very least.

You should have an ultrasound of your abdomen to rule out an enlarged spleen because with your raised counts I would like to rule out an enlarged spleen which is the reason why I think that you should be seen by a hematologist as well.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at the top right-hand-corner as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website for helping you out.

Kindest regards