Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My husband has all of sudden has had a horrible garlic

Customer Question

My husband has all of sudden has had a horrible garlic smell. He has been recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. Could ferrate infusions and vitamins cause this? He had 5 bypass heart surgery last year and history of ***** ***** syndrome with esophageal ulcers before that. Recently his doctor told him she thought he may have lupus or leukemia due to low white and red blood cells (the rare leukemia)..Lupus was ruled out. His blood work still shows deficiency after two infusions of ferrate. Now he has been put on 3 supplemental vitamins. His PSA seems to always be around 5 to 7 but the urologist says it is only infection. I can't help but worry about cancer. What do you think?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He can't tel he smells of garlic, but it is bad! Hasm
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

There is a strong possibility of the garlic smell being related to one of the supplements that he is on.

So I would not worry too much about the garlic smell itself being an indicator of anything serious.

However, if his blood counts do not improve even after taking supplementation for a month or two then the next step is diong a bone marrow biopsy to see exactly what's going on and to definitively rule out anything serious.

However, it would be VERY UNLIKELY to be anything serious like cancer from what you are mentioning because had that been the case the doctors would have known it already.

Leukemia usually does not cause low white cell count (although possible but pretty rare to say the least, he would be very sick if that were the case).

It usually causes a high white cell count with low red cell counts and platelets.

Let me know if you have more questions

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards