Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a hx. of diverticulitis. Why do I have 5-6 formed

Customer Question

I have a hx. of diverticulitis. Why do I have 5-6 formed mucoid mini stools/per day rather than 1-2 large one. Peristaltic movement is painful until evacuation occurs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Having a history of diverticulitis does not preclude one to have formed stools. The mini or pellet like stools with mucus are a characteristic feature of constipation. This is seen evidently in long standing constipation which is mostly due to lack of mobility, sedentary lifestyle and lack of water consumption. If left untreated for longer duration, this can result in fecal impaction in the rectum causing aggravation of constipation and also in severe cases; intestinal obstruction

I would advise that you start on a high fiber diet including foods rich in fiber like vegetables (green leafy ones especially), fruits and nuts as well. It was previously believed that nuts should not be taken by patients suffering from diverticulitis, but that has been proven misleading in modern research, so now it is recommended that dried fruits and nuts can be consumed in diverticulum patients during quiescent phase.

Optimum intake of water is 3 liters per day for an adult, this will keep the stool soft and bulky and aid in safe passage without causing impaction or excessive mucus secretion.

You should also add metamucil (psyllium husk) two table spoons thrice a day to your diet by adding it to water, milk or food.

Follow up with your gastroenterologist as well for a better evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service, that is the only way I get paid for my work on this site.

Best wishes.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.