Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

Persistent Coughing when I lay down to sleep. However, when

Customer Question

Persistent Coughing when I lay down to sleep. However, when I set up in Bed the Coughing stops. (67 yr old Female not overweight or taking any Medications of any kind).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

There are a few possible causes for this.Most common among these is acid reflux.When we lie down acid reflux from stomach into food pipe and higher increases as protection afforded by gravity is lost when we lie down.

Other common cause is bronchial airway obstruction which may be due to asthma or bronchitis.

You should first try sleeping with your upper body elevated.This can be done by keeping pillos under your upper body or by raising the head end of the bed you sleep in.

You may also try taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole half an hour before dinner.Also try to keep a gap of at least 2 hours between dinner and lying down for sleep.

Try to keep the air in your room humidified.You may use a humidifier for this.Avoid any direct air like that from fan or AC on your face.

If this does not improve in about two weeks you should have yourself examined to rule out bronchial airway obstruction as prescription medicines may be needed in that case.

This is the initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification or further information.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have seen my last reply.

I would be glad to assist if you have any further questions.

If you are done please do rate my answer positively to credit me for my time.

You can always come back to this question if you have any new queries.