Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

Rick. My husband took our 2 year old to s pediatrician

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rick. My husband took our 2 year old to his pediatrician today. He still has a phlegmy cough, and the doc said that he could hear the phlegm. I asked if his lungs were clear, and I don't think my husband understood the distinction, so I don't know. He said his throat looked fine, no fever. He is playful, active, picky appetite, but not decreased. Doc said both ears looked a bit infected. He gave a script for amoxicillin. He is not pulling on ears or complaining. I made a follow up appt. with the same doc for Friday, and have decided to wait and see if ears clear or improve by then before starting antibiotics. He has never been on them, and I am conservative about antibiotics. He is sleeping fine. Using humidifier, etc... I have read about terrible flu virus attacking the hearts of children and seriously injuring or worse. Just want your thoughts on the action I'm taking.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 10 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

As you mentioned he is doing fine , sleeping , eating , no fever just cough , so please keep in mind that kids have little slow functioning of air ways to clear secretions that develops with time , so in this case only thing that need is the steam inhalation , cough syrup and wait .

You are talking about infection that damaged heart so this is very rare and usually happens in those kids who have poor immune system and who has severe form of infection , this is not the case of such issue.

So relax .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .