Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 5yr old daughter has woken suddenly with pain in her

Customer Question

My 5yr old daughter has woken suddenly with pain in her ears. She does not have a history of infections or wax build up, has not been sick, and has not had anything abnormal in her ears today. She had a bath/washed hair just before bed.I tried children's Tylenol 2hrs ago. She's crying and tossing with the ear pain and never has before?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The most common cause of ear pain in children is due to blockage of the eustachian tubes (these are tubes that connect the ears to the throat).

Blockage can happen due to a number of reasons and is particularly common in kids who are prone to allergies or who are sensitive to cold or who have sensitive airways.

Decongestants like sudafed (which is over-the-counter) can help open up these tubes and relieve the pain, which is what I would recommend.

If she develops fever or ear discharge then she would definitely need to be seen as she may then require a course of an antibiotic.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the stars at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here.

Kindest regards