Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Months ago while walking rapidly, I felt my knee

Customer Question

Months ago while walking rapidly, I felt my knee "something." Since (4-6 mos.) it has hurt. Hurts on the upper outer and inner of patella, same for lower and middle of backside. It hurts to bend. If straightened for a period, hurts to bend, if bent for period- hurts to straighten. Goes away seldom for a day or so. Have fibromyalgia, diagnosed 25 yrs. ago and several back injuries. Exercise keeps pain at bay. Walk dogs daily and want to exercise more. At night the pain is always worse. The knee pain sometimes radiates down the front of my leg on either side of the fibia (lower bone). It is an ache and is also above my ankle bones anterior. Nothing showed on an Xray. Ortho said probably meniscus. I live in Mexico but am on Medicare (66y/o). I could pay for one here and arrange to go NOB but it is all such a hassle. With fibro I am great at PT exercises if it is something else. Second opinion please.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I have given you plenty. Please read my post and then ask questions. Thanks.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is likely meniscal tear since your knee hurts on bending or straightening suggesting lack of smoothness of the joint surface.

Xan be managed conservatively with knee brace, heat application and a NSAID like naproxen 500 mg twice daily.

Knee immobilization also can be tried for 2 weesk to let the menisci heal better.

Have you tried any medication yet?

Usually surgery not needed at your age unless conservative measures fail completely.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/