Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a pain that comes and goes around my Xiphoid. last 6

Customer Question

I have a pain that comes and goes around my Xiphoid. For the last 6 months it would come usually if I ever under dress while outside and feel cold and once the sharp pain starts it lasts for a few good hours. Historically, this would disappear once I have fully wrapped up and wore good clothing. However, yesterday (exactly 24 hours ago now) while preparing to play a football (soccer) match, the pain started. I have decided it was too painful to play so I headed home. I have been in a great pain for the last 24 hours. I cannot move, sneezing, coughing or any sort of movements hurts really badly as if I am being stabbed by a sharp object. If I'm still and do not make any movements then I do not feel the pain but it is only when I move. I have been in my bed for the last 12 hours now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Xiphoid process inflammation will cause such pain.

Viral infection or excessive physical activities can cause the inflammation of the cartilages attached to xiphoid process.

Any stretching activity will trigger the pain.

Complete rest, and use of anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily should help.

You can apply warm compress as well.

In severe cases, steroid injection at the joint will help to resolve the symptoms.

I will also suggest chest xrays to rule out any tumor or growth behind the xiphoid process just in case.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/