Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

What is the cause of dark circles under my 5 year old's

Customer Question

What is the cause of dark circles under my 5 year old's eyes? The veins in his eyes are very purple and you can see them very well on his eyelids. He seems healthy although he has been quite irritable and slightly pale lately (he is fair skinned though) He sleep well, has no allergies that I'm aware of, has a great appetite, but does not eat much in the way of meat, fruits or veggies.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Dark circles and prominent veins under the or around the eyes occurs when the skin around the eyes starts to thin. This is genetic in some individuals and they have very thin skin genetically. Some issues however, need to be ruled out if this is a recent occurrence. Anemia is the first thing that come to mind. Irritability, pale skin, lethargy and lack of energy are some signs and the most notable cause is parasitic infestation of the alimentary tract, in children.

Eczema, congestion, sun exposure, skin infections are other causes.

I suggest that you take him to his pediatrician soon for a detailed evaluation and a pertinent diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health