Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have had fairy mild discomfort to my penis and scrotum a

Customer Question

I have had fairy mild discomfort to my penis and scrotum for about a week. At first it felt as though my urine was warmer than normal, but now that has gone away and it feels like a slight, but constant, burning in my penis and scrotum. Sometimes it isn't noticeable, like when I stand or lie down in certain positions, but when sitting or if I get an erection it becomes very noticeable. I have had no sexual encounters during this period or any time over the past several months. Any ideas as to what could remedy this or what it is? I'm thinking it may be related to a hernia (suspicious that I have one).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

The symptoms that you mention are pretty mild and may only indicate a mild infection and nothing else other than a mild infection as far as I am concerned.

Or, the other possibility is that it may not be anything and your anxiety getting the better of you.

So I would not worry at all.

However, I would still like that you should have a urine test to rule out an infection just to be sure.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

I would like to provide another opinion Tim

This could be epididymitis or a urinary tract infection

I would absolutely get this checked out right away

You might need antibiotics

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Just wanted to add my opinion regarding epididymitis, since you have not been sexually active for in the past months it is very unlikely to be epididymitis as the most common cause of this is sexually transmitted infection.

Plus this would almost never present with burning in the scrotum.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You can read more about symptoms of epididymitis on the following weblink:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/epididymitis/basics/symptoms/con-20032876

Epididymitis is common without sexual activity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is strange, as today the discomfort is extremely mild, to the point where it is often unnoticeable. If indeed this is just a mild infection, or a UTI, would OTC UTI medicines be able to remedy the problem?

No, OTC UTI meds would not help

cranberry can help a little bit until you get in for antibiotics

I can assure you that epididymitis and urinary tract infections can happen to anyone regardless of sexual activity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I understand. Also thinking there is a possibility for prostatitis, as I have recently had some lower back pain accompanying the already mentioned symptoms (trying not to over-read this, as I have had occasional lower back pain for several years). In either case, it does seem like it is progressing so hopefully it will completely go away on its own. But if it does persist, by mid-week I plan to seek medical treatment.

I agree prostatitis is possible

I agree with that plan

if it gets worse, go in.

please don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate it