Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My name is ***** ***** and I have just coughed and felt a

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** and I have just coughed and felt a snap under my ribs it is painful to the touch and I am worried the next cough is going to do more damage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have had a plegmy cough for around a week i just coughed and felt something snap
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When someone has sudden pain in the chest following a snap that occurs while coughing, it is most often due to a pull or strain of the muscles between the ribs. The primary risk for this is the intensity of the cough, not the underlying condition that is causing the cough, so can occur with any condition that can cause a stronger cough. Since you have been coughing phlegm for a week, it is most likely due to a bronchitis. In a non-smoker the most common cause of bronchitis is a viral infection, while smoking for years will increase the likelihood of a bacterial infection.

In this situation, there are a couple of approaches. It would be fine to take medicines to ease the musculoskeletal symptoms, and the primary interventions that can be done at home would be an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, as well as applying moist heat to the chest. It also can help to use medicines to help ease the cough, both the relieve ongoing physical stress on the muscles as well as limiting the risk for further injury. The best over the counter medicine would be a medicine to thin the phlegm, guaifenesin, combined with a cough suppressant, dextrmethorphan. This is available in many different products that are available over the counter, including generics.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.