DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My daughter is 10 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto

Customer Question

My name is***** daughter is 10 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis 2 years ago. Her latest blood test came back in the normal range for T4 and Free T4, but her TSH is 31.46. She currently takes 50mcg of Synthroid every morning 30 minutes prior to eating. What does the elevated TSH mean? In September 2015 it was .66...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's been a little more tired than usual. She also takes Lamictel for Epilepsy : 125mg 2x per day.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This means she is not on enough synthroid.

She is still very hypothyroid.

The dosage should be increased gradually.

The TSH should be checked every 8 weeks with subsequent dose increases if needed.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.