Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

My sonhas cf and had a double lung transplant in 8/10, was

Customer Question

my sonhas cf and had a double lung transplant in 8/10, was doing ok until dec. of 12/04 and caught a virouis that could not be removed, in which time his breathing condition worsened and in late febuary he was put on a venilatory for 6 days until a donor was found in mid march for his 2nd doble lung transplant. now, 1 1/2 years later he is going through moderate rejection and is currently in hospital for steroid injections. could you please share your thoughts on what is going on with his rejection in a lay man term
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 10 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

Sorry for your son's condition.

Now, the rejection of the graft happens when someone else's organ is transplanted to our body. This is because the recipient body cells and immune cells treat the new lung that is transplanted as foreign material and try to work against them.

The rejection of transplant can be mild, moderate, and severe. Your son has moderate rejection. Steroids are given to suppress the immune reaction that is shown against the new transplant.

It is exactly not known how long each can show rejection phase, and how well they cope up.

He will most probably get back to normal soon.

I’m glad I helped you today. If done for now, please leave a positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com