Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm on sucralfate and protonix and nothing is stopping the

Customer Question

I'm on sucralfate and protonix and nothing is stopping the burning in my chest and stomach. It comes and goes and I have been very careful what I been eating
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long have you been taking these drugs?

What dose of each drug are you taking?

When did you last have an endoscopy? What did it show?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Since you are not responding to medicines that usually are effective for burning in the chest, there are several issues to consider. The usual cause of burning in the chest is from acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, and the Protonix and sucralfate are usually effective against the acid irritation syndromes, including GERD.

It may be more effective to use a higher dose of these medicines, and I asked about the current dose to determine whether a higher dose of either medicine could be an option.

It also may require more aggressive treatment. When someone has significant acid reflux despite appropriate medicines, it may be necessary to consider surgery, such as a fundoplication.

However, the other issue when symptoms are not improving is whether there is another reason for the symptoms. It could be that there is a completely separate problem or a complication related to the GERD. I asked about a recent endoscopy because that is the usual test to confirm whether the problem is acid reflux or another condition. If an endoscopy was done recently and showed continued acid reflux, then this issue has been excluded, and it would be appropriate to focus on the other issues noted above.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/