Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

My 19 year old daughter just got her blood work back and her

Customer Question

My 19 year old daughter just got her blood work back and her doctor wants her to see a Hematologist. Her Segmented Neutrophils is 28%, and her Lymphocytes is 55%. Her Absolute Neutrophil is 1.2k. She has always been borderline Anemic since birth and her current Hemoglobin is at 12.5g. She does not know her results yet and that her doctor wants to refer her to a Hematologist. I do not know what to say to her without freaking her out. Any suggestions? She is away at college and I do not want to add to her stress. She eats very healthy and goes to the gym 6 days a week. She has been complaining of dizzy spells, and when she is home, I have noticed that her face is extremely pale. Could this be something serious or just possibly a vitamin deficiency?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this question.

I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help

I highly doubt this is anything serious

It seems like mild aberrations in her numbers

I doubt it is a problem

I would go to be sure but she will be fine

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 10 months ago.

Hi Susan,

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you today.

The cells and counts are just below the normal range, I can say just below normal. Yes, Hematologist opinion can help.

The results are not something very alarming, it is just that a hematologist opinion can prevent a sudden catastrophe if any.

This cannot happen due to vitamin deficiency, and haemoglobin is normal, and she is not anemic based on Hb percentage. However, an opinion from Hematologist is better, and that is not an emergency as well!

I’m glad I helped you today. If done for now, please leave a positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com