khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Can diarrhea be an after effect of constipation?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

If you have irritable bowel syndrome, it can occur.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think I have that. What are other causes of diarrhea?

There are many causes of diarrhea. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Do you have abdominal pain? If so, when you have a bowel movement, do you feel better temporarily? Does anything make it better worse? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For the past week, I have a bowel movement about a half hour after eating and it is diarrhea.

Can you answer my previous questions to narrow down your problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am 5'9" and weigh 173 pounds. No weight change. I do have abdominal pain and it continues to hurt for awhile after a bowel movement. Nothing seems to make it better or worse. It started on Sunday and been on since then. It has not gotten worse. My only other symptom is cramping. Unaware of any triggers. No medical problems. I had 2 C-sections and a hysterectomy. I take Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Seroquel, and estradiol. Diverticulitis runs in my family.

What is the reason you had a hysterectomy? Were your both ovaries removed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Adenomyosis and pelvic congestion syndrome. Both ovaries were taken.

There are some possibilities such as Crohn disease, celiac disease, and bacteria overgrowth of the small intestine. You should see a GI doctor to have exam, blood & stool tests, and imagining studies such as colonoscopy.