Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

What is ect and side effects

Customer Question

What is ect and side effects
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

Sometimes a patient may have a headache, muscle aches, or nausea after ECT treatment. These side effects can be treated with medications before or after the ECT

some people may exhibit mental confusion resulting from the combination of anesthesia and/or ECT treatment. Acute confusion, if it occurs, typically lasts for 30 minutes to 1 hour

memory loss is one of the greatest concerns of people who receive ECT

two different kinds of memory loss may occur during the course of ECT treatments: short-term memory during the period of time that you are having ECT treatments. Some examples of short-term memory loss include forgetting what you had for lunch or not remembering talking to someone earlier in the day.

the second type of memory loss that may occur involves memory loss for past events. Recent past events (2 to 6 weeks before treatment) are more sensitive to ECT, but , some patients may describe "spotty" memory loss for events that occurred as far back as 6 months before beginning ECT

it is rare, some patients have reported a more severe memory loss of events which date back further than the 6 months preceding ECT treatments

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com