Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a 53 year old women taking Hormone Replacement Therapy

Customer Question

i am a 53 year old women taking Hormone Replacement Therapy for one and a half years now. I frequent the gym atleast 5 days a week and work out with a trainer. I am 5'7 and weigh 150 pounds. My gynecologist says I am in menopause now. For the past few months, I have been waking up about once a week in the middle of the night with the severe dizzy spells. I do not drink alcohol, but it must be like being very drunk. I can not hardly stand up, I stumble to the kitchen and am ravenously hungry for something sweet to eat. I cant control my desire to eat and it seems like once I have eaten enough my dizzy headache calms and I finally go back to sleep. I always feel fine the next day when I wake up.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this question.

I'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to help.

I'm very sorry about this issue.

It appears that you are having attacks of low blood sugar at night or hypoglycemia. This is very odd given that you are not on any meds that can lower your blood sugar.

You need to have this worked up. I would get a few blood tests to start

1)insulin and c peptide level to see if you are producing too much insulin

2)fasting glucose and A1c to get an overall picture of your sugar levels

3)2 hour glucose tolerance test to see how fast and how low your sugar is dropping.

The treatment may just be dietary modification but we need to make sure you don't have other issues like an insulin secreting tumor (these are incredibly rare by the way so I doubt it).

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

if you have more questions, just reply