Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Pretty sure i have food stuck in my throat. will this

Customer Question

pretty sure i have food stuck in my throat. will this dissolve by itself, or do I need to get to a dr?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Food that is stuck in the throat usually will not dissolve, because foods that readily dissolve usually do not get stuck. It is usually better to try to facilitate passage of the food.

What food did you swallow?

Which home remedies have you tried?

Actually, as I read through my answer, it did not convey my thought well. Foods that cause serious problems when stuck in the throat usually will not dissolve, so our efforts focus on trying to facilitate passage.

What food did you swallow?

Which home remedies have you tried?

I have not heard back regarding which home remedies have been tried.

If you are having mild symptoms, it is reasonable to try to facilitate passage of the food. The major effort at this point is to be drinking large amounts of fluids, which can also be alternated with soft foods, such as bread. As long as the symptoms remain mild, it is fine to continue to try this for a few days before having to see a doctor.

If having significant symptoms, that would be more worrisome. If having difficulty breathing or if the food is blocking the ability to swallow fluids or bread, then it would be better to be seen immediately. If able to breath and swallow, but still having significant symptoms, then you can try fluids and bread for a few hours at home, but if unable to get it to pass then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point,

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.