Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My name is ***** ***** and I am 79 years old. Recently I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am 79 years old. Recently I have had stool composed of hard little balls. Have to push to pass stool, but required pressure needed stops as balls pass and break up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The medicines I take are for blood pressure, thyroid, cholestrol and depression. I also take calcium and fish oil .... the calcium as I had breast cancer 8 yrs ago. Last test only showed 1 spot which was removed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 10 months ago.

hi there,

i am online and will be happy to answer your questions,

thank you for your patience.

sorry to hear about your problems.

have you noticed any blood in your stools?

you are taking medications for hyperthyroid or hypothyroid?

what medication you take for depression?

have you noticed any change in calibre of your stools? ( thinning of your stools )

this is an info request. please reply so i can help you. thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Levothyroxin 75, Paroxetine 10, Atorvadtatin 20, Valsartan 80. Medicines I have been taking for years; however, Diovannlood pressure, is now a generic. No blood, not thin. Thank u

hi again,

thank you for replying.

when was last time you checked your TSH level?

you may need to increase on your thyroxine. as hypothyroidism also causes constipation.

Constipation is a common complaint and often responds to dietary changes and various laxatives. try adding dairy products and more fiber in your diet. drink more water, exercise more often to your bearable level.

i would recommend psyllium husk along with above life style changes. it is a fiber suppliment. follow these recommendations and you will see improvementin 7-10 days. if you do not, you should get a physical examination by your doctor and check your TSH level also.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Kindly click on accept / leave positive ratings above chat box if done for now. thank you

Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks a million!ūüėÄ

you are very welcome.

kindly click on accept/ leave positive ratings above chat box if done for now.

thank you

Regards.

hi,

dear ja customer,

do you need any assistance with questions?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Do not self treat and talk to your doctor now.

Any change in stool habits warrants a colonoscopy, unless you have had one in the last 10 years...at age 70 is typical.

We do not diagnose, treat or replace your doctor on line.

Simply adding fiber is not adequate.

It is not likely if your thyroid has been controlled that this is from thyroid. That said, TSH should be between .3 and 3. Some say 2.5.

I am a double board certified US doctor, and I will always give you correct, safe and comprehensive answers.

Please click a positive rating if you appreciate my input, as that will get me paid.

Find me any day of the week by request: "For Dr. Thomas only."