Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My dad is 64 years old. He went to the hospital via

Customer Question

My dad is 64 years old. He went to the hospital via ambulance yesterday morning due to him waking up around 6am with a pain in His right side and such an extreme pain in his head that he thought he was going to pass out.he described it as flashbulbs popping. He was also having difficulty breathing. My mother gave him an aspirin immediately. I'm unsure of his blood pressure other than the top number was at 200, and after the aspirin unsure of how much time expired it came down to 170. At the hospital all tests came back negative. Other than low potassium nothing Came back abnormal. The medical personnel dx him with a bowel obstruction as he hadn't had a bm the day prior and could see in the chest X-ray. They suggested his bowels could have put pressure on the aorta causing his blood pressure to spike. He normally has 2 bms a day, this was the first time he'd ever had a problem. They sent him home telling him to take some miralax and drink water. The last 36 hours he has had bouts of dizziness and discomfort in his upper back. He has not had any intense pain and his blood pressure is holding around 150/80. Should he do anything else? His history has high cholesterol but don't believe he takes anything. He stopped smoking a year ago after about 45 years so smoking.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Most likely this is constipation and fecal retention related problem.

Miralax, high fiber diet, fluids should help to resolve the issue in few days.

However, another possibility can be aortic aneurysm or dilatation of aorta abnormally.

THis should be checked with abdominal aortic ultrasound.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello

The idea of bowel obstruction causing these symptoms is utter nonsense.

I am not sure why the ER docs would say such a thing, but an actual obstruction would require surgery and admission to the hospital.

In addition, the sympotms are not from constipation.

And missing a bowel movement for one day is not impressive.

The recurrent dizziness is concerning, and a transient ischemic attack can be responsible.

This can still be a heart problem, spot testing does not rule that out.

I urge you, take him back in: you do not have a good explanation, these are serious symptoms, and he should be in observation until this is figured out.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

I have over 20 years of experience with this type of patient.

Find me anytime.

Please click a positive rating.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Normal tests in the ER suggests nothing is that serious.

However presence of dizziness and upper back discomfort can be due to the aortic aneurysm or even sometimes underlying heart condition.

That can be rechecked again by his doctor.

Restoration of normal bowel movement should resolve these symptoms --most of the time that is the case nothing else.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile: