How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife sneezed/coughed very hard a week ago, and

Customer Question

Customer: My wife sneezed/coughed very hard a week ago, and experienced very sharp pain in rib area. Pain is way down now, but what remains is an "out-of place" feeling in her injured area. She says it feels like someone is sticking their finger in that area and then wiggling it- it's a very awkward, uncomfortable feeling that makes her wince, and unless she's still, it's a constant feeling for her. Our primary care physician said it sounds like an inflamed cartilage joint of one of the ribs. Wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Was thinking about trying to find a doctor that might specialize in this area?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: See initial message
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

your symptoms after this very hard sneeze or cough could have caused a hairline fracture of her rib

she can get a chest CT scan to look at her ribs in that area to check for hairline fracture.

she might benefit from a lidocaine 5% patch in the area to decrease pain.

an elastic velcro abdominal binder could also help decrease pain

ice and heating pads could help decrease pain there as well.

is she willing to ask her doctor for a chest CT Scan?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using