Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I was told by a doctor that I had an aggravated Pancreas,

Customer Question

I was told by a doctor that I had an aggravated Pancreas, and that is why I was having abdominal pain. Does that mean I can never enjoy drinking a beer again. I bought tickets for a cruise to the Bahamas and the purpose of a cruise is to go party. Should I just cancel this cruise? I really don't want to go on a cruise sit and watch everyone else party,
Steve
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

Im sorry to hear about your pancreas.

It sounds like that you had Acute pancreatitis in the past which is essentially and inflammation of the pancreas. This causes the pancreas to start digesting itself due to the release of enzymes. Now Alcohol is the number one cause of this problem and since you seemed to have had this episode in the past, it would be advisable that you NOT drink any alcohol and even if you do drink alcohol, drinking large amounts like you would on a party can aggravate the situation and cause you to develop another attack. Acute pancreatitis is VERY dangerous and can lead to respiratory failure, renal failure and in severe cases, death. No party is worth that risk.

Secondly, even if you didnt have acute pancreatitis, you could currently have chronic pancreatitis which as the name states is a chronic inflammation and this again can cause severe digestive issues and be changed into acute pancreatitis because of the alcohol.

So in short, NO you shouldnt be drinking alcohol with your pancreas. You can always have fun apart from drinking on the cruise.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Hi Steve,

Im sorry to hear about your pancreas.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never had an inflamed Pancreas in the past. I had 1 incident 2 weeks ago, and the Physician diagnosed me before the Blood work had even come back. I went to a Military Hospital for an eye issue, and I told them about my stomach issue. They did a CT scan, blood work and other tests. They found nothing wrong with me. I have had a lot of gas since this stomach ailment started, and I continue to have it. I have had no pain whatsoever. Having gas is not even a symptom of Pancreatitis from what I have read. When I am able to release gas my stomach feels fine. I have kept the same diet for my whole life and never had any issues. This gas problem came out of nowhere. Also, on my discharge papers from the Army Hospital I went to, In the Patient instructions it says no more than 2 drinks per day. Why are some people saying excessive drinking and hard liquor is what triggers an attack, and others are giving you a death sentence if you drink a Beer. I have been on Forums and some people drink in moderation, and others are scared to death to touch a drop of alcohol. When I had my incident I was drinking a lot of Beer and sipping shots of pure Vodka. I think it is excessive drinking that will get you in trouble. I find it hard to believe especially from my discharge papers that an occasional Beer or 2 will kill you.

Thank you for the additional information. In your original query you mentioned an aggravated pancreas, which suggeted an attack of acute pancreatitis. But now with this additional information, it doesnt seem like you had pancreatitis to begin with. if you had a pancreatic issue, it should have showed up on the CT scan of the abdomen. If your CT scan was normal, then you dont have a pancreatic issue. the gas and the pain is more likely to be associated with gastritis or Peptic ulcer disease which is a condition in which the lining of the stomach is inflammed or you might have an ulcer. An endoscopy would diagnose the problem and using prilosec would counter the symptoms.

As far as drinking in pancreatitis is concerned, the thing is in patients WHO have HAD pancreatitis in the past, even a single beer can cause an acute attack. The reason being that pancreas is already damaged because of the previous attack and thus more susceptible to developing inflammation. In patients whose pancreas are fine, you are right, they can drink in moderation. They could develop pancreatitis after binge drinking or excessive intake of alcohol. however that being said, there are several cases in which the patient developed pancreatitis after a single drink. I have managed patients with pancreatitis who have developed the condition after a single beer or any other alcoholic beverage. However those patients are a small minority and you can never predict who will develop this problem in this sub group of the population.

In your case, you can drink in moderation provided you do undergo an endoscopy to rule out the gastritis. Alcohol does worsen the stomach issues as well, again it would have to be determined what is the severity of your gastritis/ulcer before an exact safe amount of alcohol can be discussed with you. But generally speaking, a single beer shouldnt cause a problem IF there isnt severe or moderate gastritis. I would recommend that you start the prilosec, get the endoscopy and temporarily avoid alcohol until this is diagnosed.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?