Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I experienced pain during sleep in the rectal area. I had a

Customer Question

I experienced pain during sleep in the rectal area. I had a bowl movement shortly after. There have been 2 other instances where i've had the pain but no bowel movement in the last 2-4 months. No blood in my stool. Abdomen tenderness twice in the last 2 months..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. from what you are describing its likely that you could be suffering from Proctalgia Fugax which isa fancy way of saying that your rectal or anal muscles must be contracting intermittently to cause you pain. It is defined as a transient rectal muscle spasm. This can be due to several underlying causes such as hemorrhoids, electrolyte imbalance, nerve issues or even irritable bowel syndrome. In most cases this can be treated with simple painkillers, or even specialized painkillers like lyrica in some cases. However botulinium toxin injections and nerve stimulation seem to be the order of the day in some cases. Here is some more information about this condition.

http://patient.info/doctor/proctalgia-fugax-and-anal-pain

Now apart from this, the abdominal tenderness could indicate other issues such as inflammatory bowel disease which can cause abdominal tenderness as well as rectal pain.

My suggestion would be to have this evaluated by your gastroenterologist.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?