Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a very weird problem that I have never had before..

Customer Question

I have a very weird problem that I have never had before.. It all started 5 days ago, I started feeling this itch in my anus that mad eme uncomfortable along with constipation, but no pain! 2 days later, I went to the bathroom and I found out some weird white substance in my stool that looked like mucus(it's the first time I ever see something like that) it wasn't a lot of mucus though just a little.. After that, I still feel like it's hard for me to go the the bathroom and poop and whenever I poop i find very little blood spots in stool and a fair amount of mucus, I pooped today, and mucus is still here.. I even have a picture I took with my phone, I hope it's clear enough.. Please help me! It's frightning me.. I have never been through something like that.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you tried to attach a picture, it did not come through, but the is much that I can say from your description.

This would be most likely due to a hemorrhoid or an anal fissure, which are conditions that are worth treating, but there is no reason to be frightened.

A hemorrhoid is a distended vein that can occur inside or outside the anus. An anal fissure is a superficial tear of the lining of the anus. The mucus is typically a sign of inflammation, and the inflammation also can cause the itching, bleeding, and discomfort. The inflammation also can cause swelling, which can cause the difficulty in going to the bathroom. Either a hemorrhoid or an anal fissure can get significant inflammation, so the problems cannot be differentiated based solely on the symptoms.

It is important to note that constipation can make these problems worse, so part of the treatment is also oriented towards easing the constipation and softening the stool.

There are a number of home interventions that can help with this problem. There are a number of anal medicines that are mostly marketed for hemorrhoids, but will also help with anal fissures. In particular, it will would be reasonable to use one that has hydrocortisone to help ease the inflammation. It also is appropriate to increase fiber intake to help ease the constipation. This can be done by increasing the fiber in the diet or a fiber laxative. It also would be appropriate to take a stool softener, such as Colace/docusate.

If these home interventions ease the symptoms, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary, but if the symptoms persist, it would be appropriate to see your doctor.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

In addition, if you would like for me to review the picture, I would be glad to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a picture

That is the appearance that would be expected from mucus from inflammation related to either hemorrhoids or anal fissures.

The home interventions that I mentioned above would usually help in this situation.

Can I provide any further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor

You are most welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

If I can provide any assistance with questions in the future, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/