Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 70 year old male diabetic stage 2 and ln last few

Customer Question

I am a 70 year old male diabetic stage 2 and ln last few years l have been getting boiles or abesses on my scalp.I also recently had a abess in my gum and had to have my wisdom tooth extracted.
The sores on my scalp are very large the size of quarters and bleed a lot when I press them.The skin peels off and keeps bleeding for weeks at a time.I went to a dermatologist and was put on a antibiotic and this did not help.The doctor told me to put on mupirocin ointment and cover.Since then 2 others have appeared.I have been soaking my head in warm water.This seems to help but I still have them.Do you think I should go into the the hospital or do you have any other ideas?
Depressed in Long Island
Allen
.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Yes, going to the hospital will be the best course of action, since the sores are continuing to form. Secondly, possibility of an abscess forming needs to be ruled out again, since an abscess will need to be drained and antibiotic will be warranted to eradicate the contamination. Infections can go out of hand very quickly in Diabetics.

Proper control of your Diabetes is also necessitated and that might be achieved by a hospital admission for a couple of days and close observation of the Internist.

I only get paid for my work on this website if you rate the answer by using the star system on the top of your screen. The conversation can be continued even after you have rated the answer.

Best wishes.